Thursday, May 2, 2013

Nothing Scarier...

Most days, instead of wondering "why?" or getting mad, I am thankful we were able to get Savanna diagnosed with her Diabetes before something serious happened and that we are able to manage her care with medication and monitoring. Today, however, like Savanna has said so many times before: I wish it would just go away.

There is nothing scarier to a parent of a T1D child than to get a phone call from school saying her blood sugar dropped to 26 (at least nothing I have experienced so far).  My heart stopped and I mentally went through our morning routine to make sure I gave her the right about of insulin for breakfast - too much insulin and she may drop too low.  As far as I could tell, I did everything "right".  But, that's the problem with Diabetes - there is no "right" or "wrong"...what works one day perfectly well, can be disastrous the next day.   Case in point:  Savanna had  2 pieces of toast with Nutella for breakfast this morning.  Her morning blood sugar was 104.  Perfect for waking up and starting the day - I gave her 2 1/2 units of insulin for her breakfast and off to school she went.  Most days, at snack time, she would be a little high - probably because breakfast and snack are so close together.  Today, the EXACT opposite happened - she dropped low...not 70 - 80 low...not 50 - 60 low...but 26 - which is LOW!  Her range is 70 - 170...

Most frustrating and upsetting about this whole thing is that we don't KNOW why she dropped low - a slight change in her medication dosing overnight?  Were they moving around in class more than normal this morning?  Did I miscalculate her dosing or give her too much by mistake (I'm still struggling to confirm this wasn't the case)...we just don't KNOW!

All I'm left with, on a day like today, is to wish that her Diabetes would go away - and since I know that's not a reasonable request, I look towards the second best option: that a CURE BE FOUND...that the money we raise for our Walk this weekend helps researchers find a cure so that when I see the school name displayed on my phone, I immediately don't have to worry that something is wrong.  Because I'll tell you - the feeling I got when I heard her number this morning was scarier than hearing she was diagnosed...and something I don't hope to experience again!

No comments:

Post a Comment